|photo courtesy of runDisney|
For those participating in the Disney Family Fun 5K next week, here are some important things to remember:
- You must attend the packet pick up during Disney’s Health and Fitness Expo in order to receive your race participant bib. Packet pick up will not be available at the race itself.
- All participants are required to sign a participant waiver which can be found in your final race instructions email or by clicking here. You must bring your signed waivers to packet pick up in order to receive your race bib
- I recommend printing out a copy of your final race instructions to bring with you on race day. That way you have all the information you need in hand until you reach your corral. You can then simply dispose of the paper once you’ve reached the start line.
- If you are unable to pick up your own packet, you can have someone pick it up for you. Your “representative” will need a copy of your valid ID and your signed waiver along with a signed Packet Pick-Up Authorization form .
- The Disney Family Fun 5K course will not allow strollers, joggers, baby carriers of any kind, skates, scooter, bikes, skateboard, canes, crutches, or animals.
- Costumes are encouraged and can add fun and excitement to race day, but do note that masks are NOT allowed and if your costume is deemed offensive to race officials, you will be removed from the course.
- Bus transportation to the start line will be provided from Disney’s host resorts beginning at 4:15am. The monorail will begin running at 3am to accommodate race-goers. Participants should board a bus or monorail NO LATER than 5:30am in order to make it to the corral in time for the start of the race.
- If you are NOT staying at a host resort, you will need to provide your own transportation to the start line. Plan accordingly as race day traffic can be VERY heavy.
- Return bus transportation to host resorts will run from 7am-9am
- There are two on course water stations and well as post race refreshments.
- Don’t forget to plan a group meeting spot for after the race in case your party is not planning on running together or becomes separated on the course. You want to be sure you can be reunited amidst the crowd and you’ll want to most definitely get a photo to capture the memory of your accomplishment.
Disney Family 5K’s are really a lot of fun for the whole family whether it is your first race or you are a seasoned runner. Since there isn’t an age requirement for the 5K, anyone can participate as long as they can maintain the required 16-minute/ mile pace. And, since this event isn’t timed, participants can be free to enjoy the course with their companions without the pressure of trying to meet an official (and posted) time goal. There is really no better way to encourage your loved ones to get active than though a runDisney event. It will be a race like no other and will amaze you with on-course entertainment, character photo opportunities, and best of all you get to see the parks in a way that not many get to experience. While my family and I have yet to conquer the 5K during WDW Marathon Weekend, we have participated in several of runDisney’s other 5K races. Each of these events have been an unbelievable adventure for my family, as each time we get to experience the parks in a more quiet, serene way–usually just as the sun is rising. Every year we add another family member to our little running club and that makes our race days even more exciting. It is something we love to talk about together long after we’ve crossed the finish line.
For those of you who are participating in an event during the 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend next week, I wish you a big GOOD LUCK! For those who are not, remember, it is never to early to start planning your first or next runDisney event!